There are many reasons to choose Botox for achieving more youthful looking skin. Botox injections can smooth the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, crow’s feet and frown lines without surgery. There is no recovery time so you’ll immediately look refreshed following treatment with results only improving over time. Botox injections are available through many dermatologists. At Santa Barbara Skin Care, Dr. Gary Novatt, Dr. Corey Frucht, and Dr. Robert Sheffield are your Santa Barbara, CA, dermatologists.
Your Santa Barbara dermatologist injects the Botox directly into the facial muscles where wrinkles or fine lines already exist. The Botox relaxes the muscles, which gives the skin a smoother appearance. Fine lines and wrinkles smooth out and become less pronounced. Beyond smoothing out existing lines and wrinkles, Botox also prevents additional lines and wrinkles from developing for as long as the facial muscles remain relaxed. While skin appears immediately smoother after treatment, maximum results are achieved within 14 days.
Benefits of Botox in Santa Barbara
Botox injections offer multiple benefits. The procedure is really quite simple and noninvasive, requiring no incisions or surgery. Botox can be used to smooth the skin on the face. Botox injections can be used to achieve a more youthful look by softening the appearance of all of the following:
- Frown lines between the eyes
- Crow’s feet around the eyes
- Forehead lines
- Wrinkles around the mouth
- Chronic appearance of being tired, worried or angry due to age
There are so many excellent reasons to choose Botox. It can smooth the appearance of frown lines, crow’s feet, fine lines, and wrinkles. You’ll enjoy smoother skin and a more youthful appearance. For Botox injections, see Dr. Novatt, Dr. Frucht or Dr. Sheffield, your dermatologists in Santa Barbara, CA. To schedule an appointment, contact Santa Barbara Skin Care by calling (805) 569-1164.
Learning you have skin cancer can be disheartening. Finding out that you need surgery to remove it can feel even more daunting. At
Santa Barbara Skin Care in Santa Barbara and Solvang, CA, we pride ourselves on using the least invasive and most technologically advanced methods for effectively treating skin cancer, which is why we perform Mohs surgery on a variety of skin cancers. You can learn more about this revolutionary procedure here.
What is Mohs surgery?
Instead of removing skin cancer in one large section, Mohs surgery employs the use of a microscope as a guide during the surgery to remove one layer of the cancer at a time and examine it carefully before proceeding. This not only ensures that 100 percent of the cancer is successfully removed, it also helps your Santa Barbara and Solvang dermatology surgeon prevent the unnecessary removal of healthy tissue.
Do all skin cancers need Mohs surgery?
In a word: no. If your dermatologist has recommended Mohs surgery after a skin biopsy, it could be for a number of reasons. Aggressive skin cancers, especially those with poorly defined margins, need the fast and accurate results that Mohs surgery provides. This type of treatment is also indicated for skin cancers that are recurrent or located in a place on the body where cosmetic integrity needs to be considered.
How accurate is Mohs surgery?
According to the American College of Mohs Surgery, 99 percent of primary skin cancers and 94 percent of recurrent cancers are cured with one Mohs micrographic procedure. This means Mohs surgery is highly effective and helps to keep the cost of cancer treatment lower for patients.
For this highly specialized surgery, it's important to choose an experienced provider. You can trust our dermatologists at Santa Barbara Skin Care, who have had extensive training in the techniques needed to perform Mohs surgery. Contact our offices in Santa Barbara and Solvang, CA with any further questions or to schedule an appointment!
The telltale signs of aging skin—wrinkles, puffy eyes, age spots—may start to appear as we grow older. We can’t fight the aging process, but we can take steps now to help reduce and prevent wrinkles from appearing prematurely.
Many factors can contribute to the onset of wrinkles, which are frequently produced by years of unprotected sun exposure in combination with each person’s unique genetic predisposition. Wrinkles are a by-product of the aging process. As we age, our skin loses its elasticity, is less capable of retaining moisture and is slower to heal. All of these contribute to the development of wrinkles and sagging skin.
How Can I Slow the Progression of Wrinkles?
Daily skincare and proper sun protection are important factors in slowing the aging process, diminishing fine lines and minimizing wrinkles.
- Take your vitamins. Many vitamins are good for the skin. Vitamin C, a natural antioxidant found in citrus fruits and dark green leafy vegetables, can help reduce the appearance of sun damage.
- Apply sunscreen. Protecting yourself from sun exposure can help prevent the progression of fine lines. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends applying a sunscreen with a SPF of at least 30 to protect against harmful UV rays.
- Moisturize. Dry skin causes the skin to look dull and aged. To prevent dry skin, apply moisturizer every day.
- Get your beauty sleep. When your body doesn’t get enough sleep, it produces excess cortisol, a hormone that breaks down skin cells. Keep your skin looking and feeling young by getting at least seven hours of sleep every night.
- Avoid tanning beds. Tanning beds emit harmful UVA rays and are never 'safe' alternatives to the sun.
- Take care of your hands. Our hands are often the first part of our body to reveal signs of aging, as they are the most used and exposed parts of the body. Protect the hands by wearing gloves, moisturizing and applying sunscreen.
- Quit smoking. Smoking may damage more than your lungs—it causes skin aging and wrinkles around the mouth.
Like it or not, wrinkles are a natural part of aging. Even the most diligent skincare regimen or the most expensive wrinkle cream won’t totally eliminate your fine lines. You can significantly reduce the appearance of your wrinkles, however. Start taking care of your skin now, embrace your age and love the skin you’re in!
Acne is by far the most common skin complaint among teenagers, affecting nearly all of those between the ages of 12 and 17 at least occasionally, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. In most cases, hormones released during puberty are responsible for the appearance of blemishes during the teen years. These hormones stimulate the skin's sebaceous (oil) glands, producing oily skin that is more prone to breakouts. Because teens are extremely conscious of their image and appearance, an acne outbreak can be emotionally devastating.
While hormonal changes during puberty cause many types of acne to be unavoidable, with a diligent skincare regimen, many teens can help control breakouts from becoming severe, minimize the appearance of blemishes and prevent scarring.
- Keep skin clean. Teens produce more oil, so it's important to wash your face every day with warm water and a mild cleanser to remove excess surface oils and dead skin cells. Always remove makeup before going to bed to avoid clogging pores.
- Avoid over washing. Harsh scrubbing can lead to dry, irritated skin, which can actually increase inflammation and trigger glands to produce more oil.
- Don't pick. Squeezing and picking at acne can make breakouts worse. Picking at blemishes can also lead to greater inflammation and infection, increasing the risk for scarring.
- Keep hands off. Avoid touching your face throughout the day, as your hands carry bacteria.
- Use oil-free products. Avoid oil-based makeup. Instead, look for products that are noncomedogenic or non-acnegenic.
- Shower after sports or physical activities. Sweat and oil can settle on the skin's surface, trapping dirt and bacteria in the pores.
- Visit your dermatologist. Most cases of mild acne can be controlled and improved with a good skincare routine at home. If your skin problems persist, visit your dermatologist for professional treatment.
Being a teenager is tough enough without having to worry about breakouts. The good news is that effective treatments are available for acne - and the earlier treatment is started, the lower a teen's risk of lasting physical and emotional damage. When home care is not helping, talk to a dermatologist about treatment options. Your dermatologist can help tailor a treatment plan that is best for a teen's unique skin type and needs.
Wrinkles are a natural part of the aging process, but certain skin types and lifestyles can sometimes produce deeper, more noticeable wrinkles earlier in life. If you have "crows' feet" - the wrinkles that spread outward from the corner of the eyes - or "frown lines" between the eyebrows, Botox treatments from your Solvang and Santa Barbara, CA dermatologist might be exactly what you need to look and feel young again. Our medical professionals at Santa Barbara Skin Care - Dr. Gary Novatt, Dr. Corey Frucht and Dr. Robert Sheffield have provided some information about this well-known cosmetic wrinkle treatment.
What is Botox?
Botox is a protein that is derived from naturally-occurring organisms. When used in a clinical setting, like at Santa Barbara Skin Care, its primary function is to stop nerve activity from reaching targeted muscles. Your Solvang and Santa Barbara dermatology professional uses a fine needle to carefully administer the Botox solution under the skin where crows' feet and frown lines appear. With the movement restricted in these muscles, the wrinkles gradually begin to disappear; the full effects of Botox are usually seen within a week or two.
Is Botox safe?
When patients hear that the name brand "Botox" is short for "botulinum toxin," many are understandably concerned about the safety of the product and procedure. While in the natural world, these organisms can be poisonous, the product used is purified and produced in a controlled laboratory setting. Since 2002, Botox has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use as a cosmetic treatment, making its ingredients regulated and its effects well-studied. Finally, when you go to a certified medical facility like Santa Barbara Skin Care for a Botox regimen, you can be sure that it will be administered by a licensed medical professional.
If you'd like to learn more about Botox, we encourage you to contact Santa Barbara Skin Care in Solvang and Santa Barbara, CA for questions or to make an appointment.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.